Black cats are absolutely beautiful and elegant. Their shiny black coats are stunning and their sparkling eyes that stand are catching. I can’t find a single reason to dislike black cats but to love them just as I would any other kind of cat. So why do people still believe black cats are bad luck? Well, it wasn’t until the middle ages in Europe did they come up with the idea that black cats were bad luck. This was around the time the paranoia of witches hit. People saw lonely old ladies feeding stray cats and assumed the cats, specifically the black ones, were conspiring with them in witchcraft. Making the old ladies witches and the black cats bad luck.
Today, no one believes in evil witches but black cats are still being considered bad luck. In the weeks around Halloween, some shelters won’t allow the adoption of black cats for fear of the cats being beaten or mutilated.
But despite their unfortunate history, black cats are still lovable. Here are some interesting facts that’ll make you love them even more!
1. More black cats are male than female.
2. Their fur can change color! If out in the sun for too long, their fur changes to a slight brown color or “rust.” This color change is just temporary and will change back to their black color a few hours after they get out of the sun.
3. Black cats are likely to have a better immune system that protects them from sickness and diseases. The high content of melanin is believed to increase their immune system.
4. The only recognized totally black cat breed is the Bombay cat. However, there are about 21 other recognized cat breeds that have full black coats as well as other colors and patterns.
5. As black cats age, their hair starts turning gray. This lets them achieve a “salt and pepper” look.
6. Most black cats have beautiful golden eyes.
Spread the love! Tell us your favorite thing about black cats.